- Heaton PE Kit (w / Heaton cap)
- Packed lunch with plenty of healthy snacks
- Sun protection
- Appropriate footwear
- School jersey and/or weatherproof jacket in the event of colder weather
- Water bottle
- All relevant personal medication e.g. Ventolin, Epipen
THE HEATON CROSS COUNTRY HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO THE WEATHER AND FIELD CONDITIONS. A NEW DATE WILL BE COMMUNICATED WITH STUDENTS ASAP (HOWEVER THIS WILL BE EARLY NEXT TERM)
The Heaton cross country races are a house event that focuses on participation, fun and involvement. All students are expected to take part in their designated race. All we ask is for you to try your best!
DATE: Tuesday 30th June 2019 (Term 2, Week 12)
VENUE: Heaton Intermediate Fields / Elmwood Park (reserve course)
MARSHALING: The race will be organised, set-up, timed and marshaled by our Heaton sports leaders. Year 7 Sports leaders will coordinate the year 8 races, and year 8 sports leaders will coordinate the year 7 races. This event provides an opportunity for our sports leaders to take on the responsibility of coordinating a race, so please be patient and considerate.
EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS (WHAT DO I WEAR?): Students must ensure they have the following equipment with them on race day. Please note there is a scheduled full-school assembly after our scheduled races so it is really important you read the equipment requirements carefully. As year 8 students have the first races and the scheduling is tight, students can arrive in their house colours so we can begin promptly.
- Heaton PE Kit (shorts and shirt)
- Suitable running shoes – some of the course will be on paths so no spikes allowed
- Spare pair of shoes and socks (they will very likely get muddy)
- Water bottle
- Warm Jacket to wear prior and after your race
- Coloured house shirt and shorts (if students wish to run in their house colours)
- All relevant personal medication e.g. ventolin
- A bag to store any wet and muddy clothing
COMPETITIONS: The Heaton Cross Country is a shield event. Students will earn the following house points for taking part and for their final placings:
- 1st = 20 points
- 2nd = 15 points
- 3rd = 10 points
- 4th – 10th = 5 points
- 11th- 20th = 3 points
- 21st – 30th = 2 points
- 31st + = 1 point
Based on the race results (placings and times), the top 10 students from each gender/year level will be invited to represent Heaton at the Cross Country Championships, held at the Halswell Quarry in term 3
- Sports Leaders: All sports leaders are required to meet Mr Evers outside the PE shed at 7:45am. Please be prompt as we need to mark out and set up the course
- Year 8:An earlier bell time of 8:30am will sound on the day of the cross country. All year 8 classes are required to meet on the outdoor basketball court at 8:50am. Please be prompt and line up in your gender and house groups (signs will direct students where to meet).
- Year 7: All year 7 classes are required to meet on the outdoor basketball court at 9:40am. Please be prompt and line up in your gender and house groups (signs will direct students where to meet).
RACE TIMES: Please note that race times may be subject to change depending on weather, finish times etc. Parents/caregivers are very welcome to attend this event to support you, however must sign in at the front office before moving around to the track.
- Year 8 Girls: 9:00am
- Year 8 Boys: 9:25am
- Year 7 Girls: 9:50am
- Year 7 Boys: 10:15am
Map Directions / Key / Information
- Runners start at the green triangle (this area will be clearly marked out and have our sports leaders stationed to direct students)
- Students will run 2 x full clockwise laps of the red track. Students must make sure they head right when they get close to the Elmwood Park sand, and head up towards St Andrews.
- On the third lap, students will cut in close to the netball courts, and finish back at the starting position (red triangle)
- In the event that parts of our Heaton field are flooded, the course may have to be altered slightly or shorted to avoid these areas. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.
MORNING TEA TIME: In order for us to ensure our four races are completed to schedule and so that we are ready for our full school assembly, morning tea time for year 7 will be 30 minutes later than usual (10:45am – 11:05am). Your teachers will provide you with an update and reminder about this this on Monday.
When year 8 have their morning tea (10:15am – 10:35am), they can access the hall quad, Otahuna eating area and science netball court (closest to the LRC). All other areas will not be accessible due to the race.