Rock Climbing Student Information – 2018
1. Every Tuesday, regardless of the weather, Rock Climbing students should meet at the flagpole and eat their lunch at 12:20pm (or under the nearby veranda if it’s raining).
2. You should be dressed in your P.E. gear and prepared to go straight home, as we may not return in time to go back to class to pack up. All the gear is provided at the Roxx, but it can be very cold in the building, so bring your jersey.
3. Transportation (either in a parent vehicle or the school van) will leave at 12:30
4. The lessons begin at 1 pm or whenever everyone arrives. Sign in at the Roxx.
5. At 2:30, students will gather outside the Roxx and return to school in parent transport or the school van.
6. Depending on the traffic, we will arrive back at school between 2:50pm and 3:00pm. If the bell has not rung, wait at the flagpole (or another spot we may designate later) until the bell has rung. However, if you are traveling with your family, who has provided transport, you may leave after dropping off other students.
7. Tonight, any parents who have offered to drive will receive some additional information via email and it will be posted on the blog.
Transporting Parent Information
Thank you for making this opportunity available to our students!
- All drivers should complete the transport form
- We also need a copy of the driver’s license. This can be either an emailed photo or we can copy it on the first day.
- Please note that finding parking can be difficult in the area around the Roxx, but there are drop off areas in front of the entry.
The schedule is:
- 12:30 pm: Pick up at school
- 12:50-1 pm: Drop off at the Roxx, located at the corner of Waltham Road and Bryon Street. The door is on Bryon Street. Students can enter on their own.
- 2:30 pm: Pick up at the Roxx (Again, no need to enter. Just pull to the side and students will jump in.)
- 2:50 pm: Drop off at school near the flagpole. If later than 2:55, drop off at one of the 10 min carparks on Heaton Street and students can enter school grounds on their own. Once dismissal happens at 3 pm, it’s impossible to drive out of school until 3:15 because of student traffic. You and your child can depart after dropping off the other students.
As part of our weekly winter sport programme, Heaton offers year 8 students an opportunity to participate in an 11 week rock climbing club.
The cost for the 11 week programme is $187.00 per student. This covers travel to/from the venue in the Heaton van, tuition/lessons with an instructor and all necessary equipment.
Dates: Tuesday 16th May – Tuesday 8th August (N.B. There will be a two week break over the term 2 holidays). Individual dates are outlined below:
- 16th, 23rd, 30th May
- 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th June
- 4th, 25th July
- 1st, 8th August
1:00pm – 3:00pm climbing block booked (meeting and departure time TBC by this Saturday and will be uploaded to the SportsBlog and daily notices)
Meeting / Collection Time (T.B.C): All rock climbing students are required to meet Ms Green and their parent/caregiver transport helps at the Heaton flagpole at 12:30pm. Students will finish their session at approx. 2:30pm so they can depart the YMCA Roxx promptly at 2:40pm. This will provide adequate time to arrive back to Heaton for the end of the school day. Any meeting /collection time changes will be updated to both the blog and the school daily notices.
Lunch Organisation: Please ensure you have a home/packed lunch with healthy snacks on Tuesdays, as you will not have enough time to collect a lunch from the canteen.
Equipment Requirements: Please ensure you are wearing your Heaton PE uniform, have appropriate footwear, a water bottle, healthy snacks, and a warm jacket as the centre can be cold in the winter.
The programme will take place at the YMCA climbing gym with certified instructors at a ratio of 1-10 (plus a teacher). The objectives of the lessons are to learn basic belaying, safe practices and climbing techniques. Depending on the skill level of our participants, we would aim to run an in-house climbing competition on the last week.
2017 Participants (16 students total):
- Room 4: Maia C, Jessie W, Daisy S, James C, Jack B
- Room 7: Charlie R, Sophia W, Carenza R
- Room 8: Annabella C
- Room 9: Oliver D, Sammie-Lee M
- Room 10: Mya H
- Room 12: Scarlette K.B, Rebekah C, Milly M, Jaymee B
YMCA Adventure Centre, 239 Waltham Road, Sydenham Christchurch
Katrina (Milly’s mother) will transport all four Room 12 students during the entire programme, except for the following two dates (20th & 27th June) where Shelly Churchill (Jame’s mother) will relieve
Ms Green (Rm 6): will transport Oliver D (Rm 9) and all Room 4 and Room 7 students for the during of the rock climbing programme
David (Mya’s father)/ Anna (Annabella’s mother) / Lisa (Jessie’s mother) : will share the transport of Mya (Rm 10), Annabella (Rm 8), Izabelle F (Rm 9) and Sammie-Lee M (Rm 9). The specific dates transport dates have been outlined below for your convenience.
- 16th May – Anna
- 23rd May – David
- 30th May – Heaton
- 6th June – Lisa
- 13th June – Anna
- 20th June – David
- 27th June – Shelley G
- 4th July -Shelley G
- 25th July – Anna
- 1st August – David
- 8th August – Shelley G
Additional volunteer transport agreements can be accessed using the following link: Heaton Transport Volunteer Agreement
N.B. Participation in the rock climbing programme will mean that your son/daughter cannot represent Heaton in the Inter-Intermediates Winter Weekly Sport Competition i.e. hockey, rugby, netball, football, squash, table tennis.
Twenty students have expressed an interest to take part in this programme, however the Heaton van can only accommodate 10 students. As a result of this, we are seeking parental/caregiver support to assist the school with transportation and supervision. If you are willing and able to assist us, please contact Tim Evers (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Tuesday 9th May (5:00pm). If we do not receive any transportation/supervision assistance, 10 students will be randomly selected to take part.